Monday, September 5, 2011

Psychogeography




Psychogeography is a term I've personally come across primarily in film studies analyses of urban representations.

It remained largely academic to me until this evening when I took a long walk around Decorah, where I lived from age 10-18 and to which I'm returning now at nearly 38.

Specifically, there was one moment when my walking zen-vibe was disturbed by a house on Maple that I'd not thought of in a very long time. I was only inside that house once, and that was the first and only time I ever played Dungeons & Dragons. I do and do not look forward to the many walks I will take during my postdoc year in Decorah and to the psychogeographical annotations that will resurface for me as I encounter places recondite and on Water Street.

No comments: