Saturday, September 3, 2011

Worm Neighbors


My office-neighbors are worms! (No, I'm not trying to emulate Boris Yelnikoff.) Every morning I pass the worm bedding bucket in the suite hall to get to my Luther College office. This morning the cylinder of sustainability materiality made me think of Sesame Street. Typically, if you mention Jim Henson and eco_ the response is Kermit singing “It’s Not Easy Being Green.” But today the worms got me thinking how Oscar the Grouch is a suggestive eco-resident. One of his best friends is Slimey the worm and he not only acknowledges but embraces that his life is literally surrounded by, bathed in, rubbish. He, too, is green (though originally a toxic orange). There are complex ecological lessons in the misunderstood misanthropy of this good-hearted friend of worms.

No comments: